- Axleson, Jan: Serial Port Complete, Lakeview Research, Madison,
- Black, Uyless D.: Physical Layer Interfaces & Protocols, IEEE
Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1996.
- Campbell, Joe: The RS-232 Solution, 2nd ed., Sybex, 1982.
- Campbell, Joe: C Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications,
2nd ed., Unknown Publisher, 1993.
Levine, Donald: POSIX Programmer's Guide, O'Reilly, 1991.
- Nelson, Mark: Serial Communications Developer's Guide, 2nd ed.,
Hungry Minds, 2000.
- Putnam, Byron W.: RS-232 Simplified, Prentice Hall, 1987.
- Seyer, Martin D.: RS-232 Made Easy, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall,
Stevens, Richard W.: Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment,
(ISBN 0-201-56317-7; Addison-Wesley)
- Tischert, Michael & Bruno Jennrich: PC Intern, Abacus 1996.
Chapter 7: Serial Ports
Notes re books:
- "... Complete" has hardware details (including register) but the
programming aspect is Window oriented.
- "Physical Layer ..." covers much more than just EIA-232.
It's best to use the nearest mirror site, but here's the main
Serial Software for Linux software for the serial ports
including getty and port monitors.
Serial Communications for communication programs.
irqtune will give serial port interrupts higher
priority to improve performance. Using
hdparm for hard-disk tuning
may help some more.
statserial show the current state of
various modem control lines. See
- man pages for:
Low-Level Terminal Interface part of "GNU C Library Reference
manual" (in libc (or glibc) docs package). It covers the detailed
meaning of "stty" commands, etc.
- Modem-HOWTO: modems on the serial port
- PPP-HOWTO: help with PPP (using a modem on the serial port)
- Printing-HOWTO: for setting up a serial printer
- Serial-Programming-HOWTO: for some aspects of serial-port programming
- Text-Terminal-HOWTO: how they work and how to install and configure
- UPS-HOWTO: setting up UPS sensors connected to your serial port
- UUCP-HOWTO: for information on setting up UUCP
- comp.os.linux.hardware: Hardware compatibility with the Linux
- comp.os.linux.networking: Networking and communications under Linux.
- comp.os.linux.setup: Linux installation and system administration.
The Linux serial mailing list. To join, send email to
email@example.com, with ``
linux-serial'' in the message body. If you send ``
the message body, you get a help message. The server also serves
many other Linux lists. Send the ``
lists'' command for a list
of mailing lists.
Linux Serial Driver home page Includes info about PCI support.
Serial Suite by
Vern Hoxie (site is dead in 2004) is a collection of blurbs about the
care and feeding of the Linux serial port plus some simple programs.
He also has a Serial-Programming-HOWTO (not yet available from the
Linux Documentation Project). Your browser should automatically log
you in but if you do it manually login as "anonymous" and use your
full e-mail address as the password.
- A white paper discussing serial communications and multiport
serial boards was available from Cyclades at
Hosting by: Hurra Communications Ltd.
Generated: 2007-01-26 17:58:36